[ale] udev file permissions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 23:14:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> For the record, Debian (and Ubuntu's non-livecd) installer have
> supported setting up and installing to encrypted LVM using LUKS for a
> while. I used it at my last tech job without any noticeable decline in
> performance on a Pentium 4-based system. With multiuser systems, you
> need to give the passphrase to anyone who might boot it, so there are a
> lot of fingernails to pull. If you only care about data in /home and
> want each user to have their own key, take a look at encfs and its
> corresponding pam module.
>
> It was the customized/mangled ubuntu I use at work that made me look at
how to do the same thing with Fedora. Some people use their own roll of
Ubuntu, Debian or even a few Gentoo users. But the crypto is mandatory. The
linked article is the best written cookbook I've seen yet and it works
exactly.

encfs is pretty cool! I found a link
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/06/13/dual-password-encryption-with-encfs/with
a decent article on using it for personal stuff.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC
http://www.localnetsolutions.com