[ale] udev file permissions

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Mar 11 22:49:31 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> surprisingly, no.  The system is rather speedy (dual core turion 64 @
> 1.6GHz w/1GB RAM) and it doesn't seem to even blink. My work machine
> uses a slower cpu and a similar config and it zips along merrily. I
> recommend it for the redhat/fedora/centos crowd using laptops until
> (hopefully) F9 which is slated to have crypto capability in the install.
> It is not going to be the full-blown monster they are proposing for
> RedHat Enterprise 6 (or maybe 5.5?) which is slated to have master key
> and sub keys for the drive for boot up and sub keys for each home
> partition user. That is a large leap forward and I suspect it will be a
> challenge for admins. But the need is there for corporate check-out
> laptops with encryption.

For the record, Debian (and Ubuntu's non-livecd) installer have
supported setting up and installing to encrypted LVM using LUKS for a
while. I used it at my last tech job without any noticeable decline in
performance on a Pentium 4-based system. With multiuser systems, you
need to give the passphrase to anyone who might boot it, so there are a
lot of fingernails to pull. If you only care about data in /home and
want each user to have their own key, take a look at encfs and its
corresponding pam module.

-Brian