[ale] udev file permissions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:57:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> I've already got Fedora 8 on two boxes.  I won't touch any of the SuSE
> >> products anymore because of Novell's collusion with Microsoft.
> >>
> >> Even Miguel is lamenting the deal.
> >
> > Check out this link:
> > http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/cryptoroot-f8/
> > For directions on how to setup a secure laptop with an encrypted drive
> for
> > all but /boot. I did this this past weekend and it worked fine (except
> for
> > an prior partition name issue in LVM and my terminal inability to type).
>
> Do you see any visible impact on process speed?

surprisingly, no.  The system is rather speedy (dual core turion 64 @
1.6GHzw/1GB RAM) and it doesn't seem to even blink. My work machine
uses a slower
cpu and a similar config and it zips along merrily. I recommend it for the
redhat/fedora/centos crowd using laptops until (hopefully) F9 which is
slated to have crypto capability in the install. It is not going to be the
full-blown monster they are proposing for RedHat Enterprise 6 (or maybe 5.5?)
which is slated to have master key and sub keys for the drive for boot up
and sub keys for each home partition user. That is a large leap forward and
I suspect it will be a challenge for admins. But the need is there for
corporate check-out laptops with encryption.
Request laptop, tech plugs it into network and logs in with master key
password. Generates user account and rsynchs your home dir over. You enter
your sub key password on pickup and 10 minutes later walk out with an
armored hard drive (until they pull out your fingernails...)

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC