[ale] cygwin drive maps not shown in ssh

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Mar 11 16:28:23 EDT 2008

New to Cygwin - just installed yesterday on my Windows XP laptop

Trying to figure out why shares mounted on XP are visible in the XP
Cygwin session window but not  in an ssh session window to same XP box.

DETAILS:
In the Cygwin window opened from XP I see:
$ df -h
C:\cygwin\bin          36G   30G  6.7G  82% /usr/bin
C:\cygwin\lib          36G   30G  6.7G  82% /usr/lib
C:\cygwin              36G   30G  6.7G  82% /
c:                     36G   30G  6.7G  82% /cygdrive/c
h:                    156G  147G  9.7G  94% /cygdrive/h
l:                    225G  134G   91G  60% /cygdrive/l
r:                    837G   31G  807G   4% /cygdrive/r

Where h, l and r are shared drives mapped to Windows and c is local.

However when I ssh into the box (as same user as I logged into Windows
with) I see:
$ df -h
C:\cygwin\bin          36G   30G  6.7G  82% /usr/bin
C:\cygwin\lib          36G   30G  6.7G  82% /usr/lib
C:\cygwin              36G   30G  6.7G  82% /
c:                     36G   30G  6.7G  82% /cygdrive/c

It appears not to see the shared mounts.   Looking in /cygdrive in the
ssh session I see on "c" but in the XP session I see the h, l and r.

Permissions show these as owned by me and grouped to Users and I've
updated Users group to have my GID from /etc/passwd.

Interestingly I can mount any of my shares with the UNC path such as:
mount -f -s -b -E "//atlts01/users/jlightner" "/data"
And then access the share mounted on drive H for XP via /data in the ssh
session (and the XP session).
This would be a good work around but I'm curious why I would have to do
that?  Why can't I see the h, l and r in the ssh session?