[ale] Interest in supporting a Linux PoS system: Viewtouch

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Mar 11 16:15:36 EDT 2008

> installs and support, I thought I'd toss it out to the group.  Cost
> looks to be a fraction of the Squirrel system my friend is now using
> that seems fraught with viruses (he also has a WiFi hotspot off of his
> network...).  With all the restaurants coming and going here in
> Buckhead, seems like it could be a decent business opportunity.

Why does the thought of a WiFi hotspot sharing network segment with
Windows or ANY computer that deals with payment information give
me the creepy crawlies?

Oh, because I've recently had a CC I used exactly twice in retail stores
comprimised this way, and I need to give Chase some kudos for catching
it quickly when some questionable online merchants starting used that card
and my info.. and fixing my account quickly and with little fuss.