[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Mar 11 11:43:26 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> That said, OpenOffice.org can be extended with the UNO specifications
> using python (and some java too, I think).  As the file type is
> essentially a gzipped xml file, it will be tricky to create it on the
> fly and have oocalc be happy with it. But you can crate a blank
> spreadsheet and save it and use that as a template to work from. It may
> be easy to hack UNO and alter the default save directory everytime the
> thing opens.

IMHO UNO is an incredible pain. I've used the python binding to automate
the conversion of documents, but to programmatically alter documents I
found it simpler to unzip them and work with the xml. That said, if
someone can dig through the UNO docs and write a macro to change the
default save directory I'd love to see it.

-Brian