[ale] Intelligent Power (was global warming) [OT]

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Mar 10 17:23:05 EDT 2008

On 03/10/2008 05:13:52 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Greg Freemyer
> <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Per: http://discovermagazine.com/2006/apr/anything-oil
> >
> >  In the long term, they can make Electrical generating
> quality crude
> >  oil for about $75 / barrel from biowaste. (iirc).
> >
> >  I have not followed the above oil production plant
> beyond reading that
> >  article, but it is describing an actual plant in full
> production and
> >  selling oil to the local electric company to generate
> electricity, not
> >  some totally pie-in-the-sky project that may be
> possible with a couple
> >  $B in investment.
> >
> >  The article I sited above is 2 years old.  If anyone
> has seen a more
> >  recent article, I would love to read it.
>
> Decided to see if I could find anything newer.
>
> Looks like the plant is now at full production.  200 tons
> of turkey
> guts / waste a day turned into biodiesel.  Not sure how
> efficient they
> are, but if all of the weight were turned into oil that
> would be about
> 50,000 gallons a day, or 1,000 barrels a day, or 350,000
> barrels a
> year.  Not huge, but not really an experiment either.
>
> Oklahoma is even sending them some really ugly fish guts
> to get rid of.
>
> The biggest problem is complaints about the odor.  Not
> sure how they
> know it is the oil producing plant and not the turkey
> processing plant
> next door.
>
> Next time they build one, maybe they will be smart enough
> to build it
> somewhere other than in the middle of town.
>
> Greg

I have seen, and do not recall a link to, a listing of the
conversion rates of various materiel using the thermal
depolimerization process. I think I may have tracked it
down from Wikipedia, but don't hold me to that. You may be
Googling for a while.

That said, I think I read somewhere that there is a Georgia
project using the same technology against vegetation waste
(wood chips and such). Could be my imagination.