[ale] udev file permissions

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Mar 10 09:22:25 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Jim Lynch wrote:

>>> I think the usual way to overcome the inability to use /dev devices in
>>> general is to note what group the device belongs to, perhaps tty in this
>>> case, and add yourself to that group.  All the devices I've run into are
>>> set to 660 so group has read/write access.  At least this is the way I
>>> normally get around the problem.
>>>
>> Well, it's not the solution I was looking for, but it works, so thanks
>> for the response.
>>
>> I guess that's the positive side of all this.  Great support from the
>> community and "there's always more then one way to do it."
>>
>> Thanks Jim.
>>

> I'm going to go out on a limb here and arrogantly suggest "that's the
> way it is supposed to be done". ;)

Well, the reason I thought there was another approach was based on my
research into udev.  Udev has permissions specified in two different
places, thus I assumed I could get it working from that point.

Generally, by adding myself to the group is likely a safer solution then
opening up the perms anyway.

> Glad you got it working.

Yeah, thanks again.

--