[ale] udev file permissions

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Mar 10 06:19:06 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> If there is one thing that is stopping Linux from better acceptance,
> it's issues like this.  I was running Red Hat Enterprise 4, syncing my
> palm via jpilot.  I do a clean install of Red Hat Enterprise 5 and I can
> no longer sync my palm.  I know what the problem is, the permissions on
> the devices created by udev.  Problem is, I can not find sufficient
> documentation to tell my how to make this work.  I've found various
> references to permissions files and such, but none of them are
> consistent.  I've spent the better part of a day on this issue, still,
> no love.
>
> So, anyone have a pointer as to how to make udev set the proper
> permissions on the /dev/ttyUSB[12] devices when I plug my palm up?

I think the usual way to overcome the inability to use /dev devices in
general is to note what group the device belongs to, perhaps tty in this
case, and add yourself to that group.  All the devices I've run into are
set to 660 so group has read/write access.  At least this is the way I
normally get around the problem.

Jim.