[ale] PGP implementation

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Mar 8 19:07:31 EST 2008

Hello,

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 18:25 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Greetings !

> What is the preferred  implementation process for pgp/gpg, that is,
> from where are suitable binaries or source obtained and what
> recommendations and caveats should be observed in this whole process ?

	I'm not quite sure I understand what you are looking for.

	GnuPG aka gpg is bundled and installed out of the box with virtually
every Linux distribution I'm aware of, this is, after all, the Atlanta
Linux Enthusiasts, as well as the various BSD distributions and readily
available as a package for Solaris on both x86 and Sparc as well as
other Unix platforms.  If you are having to deal with it on Windows, you
might as well pony up to the bar at PGP Corporation although there are
gpg implementations for Windows as well (they just don't have as good
integration with LookOut and don't come with the PGP Desktop).

	So, when you ask for the "implementation process for gpg/gpg", I'm
thinking "what's to implement?  It's just there.

> Is the included documentation adequate ?

	For reasonable values of "adequate" but your mileage may vary depending
on your level of expertise and needs.

	You might start here if you are looking for documentation:

	http://www.gnupg.org/

> Thank you for your effort on my behalf,

> Courtney

	Mike