[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Mar 5 20:44:41 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay,
>
>  I'm sitting at the command prompt in a given directory.  I want to
>  create a spreadsheet.

Create, eh.

>  I try "oocalc abc.xls"  and I get abc.xls does not exist. :<

Correct.  man oocalc clearly specifies that abc.xls should be an
existing file to *open*, not create.

>  I try oocalc -? to see the override switch.
>
>  It recommends (or that's how I read it)
>
>  soffice -calc abc.xls

Again, that's how to *open* an existing file.

>  I try that and give it a minute or two to open, still nothing.  I control-c.
>
>  I try oocalc with no args at all.
>
>  It just returns with no verbal info at all, and no gui.

That's not what should be happening.  oocalc for me starts up with a
blank spread sheet.

>  I go to my vmware XP install and launch excel....
>
>  The end of my sad story.

;-)  sad, yes.  But where to place the blame....

-Jim P.