[ale] Weird K12LTSP NIC behavior

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:43:29 EST 2008

as root:
crontab -e
then add a line:
0 6 * * * /usr/local/sbin/restart-networking

and close with the standard vi <esc>:wq

in /usr/local/sbin/restrt-networking
#!/bin/bash
service network stop
rmmod <module for NIC1>
rmmod <module for NIC2>
#repeat for all network cards
service network start
service dhcpd restart

save the file and
chmod 755

I suspect the NIC is failing or the cable is crap.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Daniel Howard <dhhoward at comcast.net> wrote:

> Guys, I've got an installed K12LTSP server that has suddenly started
> forgetting daily that it has an active network connection to the clients
> and I find I have to both reactivate the network card, and also to
> restart DHCP services.  Anyone seen this before?  As an interim solution
> until I can seriously troubleshoot it to ID a network card, gigabit
> switch, or cable issue, is there a cron job I could use to restart these
> services every day?
>
> Best, Daniel
> --
> Daniel Howard
> President and CEO
> Georgia Open Source Education Foundation

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC
http://www.localnetsolutions.com