[ale] Need help printing from Kubuntu

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:10:51 EST 2008

Hi Linda,

If you open the cups web page on his computer using http://localhost:631
go to printers->choose that printer-> select "set printer options" and
look for "print color as gray". Save and test :)

If that fails to do the trick, copy the ppd file from /etc/cups/ppd from
your machine to his. The file will be called <printer name>.ppd

On the cups page you can also set things like draft mode as the default
to save ink. That may be listed as "print quality = fast". Also check
the print settings in the application he is printing from. If they are
over-riding low-res mode, the ink usage will continue.

Lastly: pick up a cheap Brother or Samsung laser printer. For $100 you
can save a load of cash on ink cartridges! HP ink is more costly than
gold (and all the other precious metals - around $20,000/ounce!)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Linda L. Hull. <llhull at babylon.d2dc.net>
wrote:

> My husband has Kubuntu Feisty, when he tries to print
> on our HP 7210 all-in-one printer, it tries to print in COLOR
> and not black--even on grayscale.
>
> He prints a lot daily, the color cartridge has run out of ink.
>
> My computer (Ubuntu Feisty) isn't doing that (praise God!) but what
> can we do to fix it?
>
> Our son moved to Texas, I'm not technically inclined, he said he would
> have to be here to mess with it.
>
> My husband had a stroke and can't do this. Printing is very important,
> he uses typing/writing to communicate.
>
> If someone can help, I'd trade making dinner?
>
> Linda

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC