[ale] preparing to attempt 2 monitors on F8

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Mar 4 13:29:55 EST 2008

Pete Hardie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Pardon this brief interruption of the discussion of what politics are
> allowed here -
>
> I'm looking to have a dual-head setup on FC6, soon to migrate to F8.
> I have a ATI Radeon AGP 512M
> X1650 Pro video card.  I was not able to track down anything clear as
> to the support for this card
> under Fedora.  Can anyone point me to definite info on this?  And also
> to dual-head X configs under
> Fedora?

I'm assuming your card has dual outputs?  I don't know if it's
supported, but my older ATI card is.

I have a Fedora 8 system with an ATI Radeon AGP that, up to about a
month ago was dual head.  My Viewsonice P225F fried about that time, so
I've been limping along on a single monitor.  Mine uses the radeon driver.

That being said, I had to make quite a change from my previous Fedora 6
dual head configuration to my current Fedora 8.

Under Fedora 6, I was using Xinerama to facilitate the dual head
functionality, under Fedora 8, I'm using xrandr.

Under Fedora 8, I set up the display as a single head setup, wherein you
end up with duplicate displays on both monitors.  Once I'm in X, I run:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of VGA-0

Check out the man page for xrandr.

--
Until later, Geoffrey