[ale] OT: getting spam from myself in gmail

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Mon Mar 3 18:11:26 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> I've suddenly noticed starting last Sat. that I was starting to receive
>  SPAM that was from and to myself. The list just shows me as sender. Can
>  anyone tell me what is going on? Is there a way to stop this? And what
>  else could be happening that I need to watch out for?

First, make sure your filters don't specifically allow all email to
your email address (yes, I've seen people do that).    Secondly, make
sure you hit "Report Spam" on the real spam emails.... this helps
Google (alternatively, don't hit "Report Spam" on the non-spam emails
;-))

Finally, make sure you don't have POP3/IMAP turned on if you don't
need them (Never underestimate the capabilities of someone to get your
pop3(s)/imap(s) account credentials)  This is just incase someone is
actually using your account to send spam (yes, it has happened in the
past with some folks).  . ;-)

-Jim P.