[ale] bash colors not recognized while using screen

joh6nn joh6nn at joh6nn.com
Sun Mar 2 12:28:25 EST 2008

yesterday, i went to use screen, and noticed that my fancy colored bash
prompt, was plain grey.  only when i'm using screen, though.  googling
around reveals that this appears to be a common issue when distributions
don't supply good termcap info for screen, and that sure enough, there's
a bug at Ubuntu's launchpad for missing screen termcaps.  but, while i'm
waiting for Canonical to distribute an updated package with corrected
termcap info, what can i do about the issue on my end?  all of the
information i found on google was lacking with regards to a solution
(the screen FAQ suggests a fix that did not work for me, and that was
the only thing i could find)

i'm running kubuntu 7.10

pertinent pages discovered through google:
http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~jnweiger/screen-faq.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/screen/+bug/190852/comments/1

-joh6nn