[ale] [rant] I dislike "we only support winblows/OS X"AT&T internet

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sun Mar 2 03:05:22 EST 2008

Funny idea that AT&T "used to" care for "customers".  Back in the days
when it was a monopoly it didn't give a damn about customers because it
knew they didn't have other choices.

When I first moved to Houston years ago and established phone service
the local AT&T (strong)arm there made me put down a hefty deposit to be
allowed to make long distance.  Despite that before I even got my first
bill they called me up and told me that I needed to come and pay them
another deposit "right away" to cover double the amount of calls I'd
made to that point or they would disconnect my phone service that day.
Back in those days MCI was just starting out and you could only get LD
between big cities and unfortunately the one I'd come from wasn't big
enough.

Luckily AT&T wasn't smart enough to know how good they had it so tried
to force MCI out of business and ended up getting broken up in an
anti-trust action after making the attempt.