[ale] [rant] I dislike "we only support winblows/OS X" AT&T internet

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sat Mar 1 22:43:08 EST 2008

2008/3/1 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
>  What will it take to get these companies to start actually getting
>  competent people to start doing the job of technical support, and
>  support only the things that they sell?

Sadly, nothing.   The problem is that from their perspective there
isn't any problem.   In today's world a 5 or 10% unhappy customer base
is par for the course.  If your product works well for the masses,
most of the time, why bother spending a dime improving support?
Microsoft taught this lesson to the world back in the early 90s, and
most every tech company since then has used that same boiler plate.

Remember (if you are old enough to do so) the days of rock-solid
reliable dialtone, five 9s?  Those days are gone.  Today's mobile
phone companies (even those that are divisions of legacy telco
carriers) know that if your phone works 95% of the time you will keep
on paying.  That same logic is everywhere today, unfortunately for
those in the 5 to 10 percent.

-Jim P.