[ale] [rant] I dislike "we only support winblows/OS X" AT&T internet

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Mar 1 22:10:41 EST 2008

Thompson Freeman wrote:
> The subject pretty much says it all in the short form. I need to blow
> steam so you can delete this with my appreciation for the use of your
> bandwidth.
>
> My girlfriend has BellSouth/AT&T dsl service at home, although she
> doesn't much use it prefering to do her thing at work. I built her a
> box and loaded Ubuntu 7.10 on it, which connects through a Westell
> router/dsl modem. There are connectivity issues with the internet
> however, so I went over for a troubleshooting session this evening.
>
> Now, I do know better than to admit to these script reading tech
> support people that I've got linux running, but I've got a big mouth
> also. Strike one on me. Actually two and three, end of inning, also but
> the script reader was willing to fool along.
>
> The problem is that the modem will not stay linked up (and this is
> influenced by the OS HOW??), but drops the connection. I can access the
> web setup stuff on the Westell box just fine.
>
> Basically I got told (eventually) to get an expert on my end of the
> line with Windows, or forget it.
>
> Jerks.
>
> I'll take the laptop over tomorrow, with Wonders 2000 on it, and see if
> the next mouth breather can see reason.
>
> Trouble is, my only other option for her seems to be RoadRunner (I get
> to fight with them for my daughter), for three times the money. Doesn't
> seem to be worth the effort.
>
> Thanks for letting me bitch for the moment. I'm feeling slightly
> better.

Sounds like what I just went through with Charter NarrowBand Support. I
went a step further and admitted that I had my own network. Oh but I
didn't know enough about networks and I needed to have them install
their own special router along with removing Linux from my computer and
they would have to charge me to install Vista on all of my PCs. I was
ready to put my fist through the phone to punch the script dummy in the
face, when my other grabbed the phone and hung it up. She then calls
back 3 times and finally got someone who didn't believe in using scripts
and was actually Network+ certified. He also was using Linux at home and
had a network at home of 19 PCs with all different Distros. We wound up
on the phone for about 30 minutes after he resolved my problem, just
exchanging tips.