[ale] [OT] Digital TV conversion box

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 30 12:05:15 EDT 2008

James Sumners wrote:
> If you are talking about the DTV converters for OTA reception, then
> no. They are merely for converting a digital signal to an analog
> signal for televisions that only have an NTSC tuner (no ATSC tuner).
> The only way such a converter can qualify for the federal coupon
> program is if the converter does nothing but convert the ATSC signal
> to NTSC. Ethernet and SNMP support would invalidate that box from
> being coupon eligible.
>
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Atlanta Geek <atlantageek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> Does anyone know anything about these Digital TV conversion boxes.
>> They seem pretty cheap. Do they have ethernet and/or USB connectors.
>> Do they support snmp. Does anyone know of one of these boxes that are
>> < $100 that support snmp through ethernet. Will they work with cable
>> if you ignore the encryption of digital channel stuff.

If you are interested in a HD tuner that's has ethernet there is the
HDHR by silicon dust.  Works fairly well.  I've had mine about a year
now, use it with mythTV.  Can't get over how much better broadcast HD is
compared to cable or satellite.  The HDHR supports qam (unencrypted
cable) and ATSC (broadcast).

http://www.silicondust.com
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun

LOL, I wonder how much I'll be payed for singing their praises?