[ale] ICANN expands top level domain name options

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jun 29 12:11:55 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 00:09 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM,  <krwatson at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > ICANN expands top level domain name options

> It's part of their grand scheme to milk every last bit of money that
> they can.   Honestly they should just focus on doing things right, not
> doing *everything* they can.

	Actually, it's an ingenious way to duck out of the whole political .xxx
controversy.  They've been in a damn if you do, damned if you don't,
damned if you ignore it, and damned because I say your damned situation.
The Religious Riche wanted porno off the internet and wanted to isolate
it to some backwater, so they (for some value of they) proposed to
restrict porno to a restricted domain.  Then someone proposed what they
wanted.  Noooooo!!!!!  That would legitimize porn on the internet.  We
can't have a porn domain.  So they flipped and they flopped and the US
administration flipped and they flopped and ICANN was caught in the
middle.  By considering the creation of .xxx they caught heat.  They
caught heat when they first turned it down.  They caught heat when they
postponed discussion thanks to the US government.  They couldn't win.
Here they can win.  It's not their job any more.  Pony up to the bar and
create it.  The new policies are completely agnostic and the politicos
on both sides can go sit on a pop bottle and spin.

> -Jim P.

	Mike