[ale] red hat naming

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sun Jun 29 12:10:11 EDT 2008

RHEL is up to 5 now so your Shrike (RH 9) systems are 5 major releases behind.  Fedora is up to 9 so from that standpoint they're 10 major releases behind.

If the app is certified on RHEL4.5 that has a 2.6 kernel so it may run on RHEL5 as well though it may take some effort to do it the RHEL5 way.   I had to do this for Oracle 10gR2 RAC which was certified but the install documents hadn't caught up.

RHEL4 would definitely bring you into the current way of doing things.  Of course you need to verify your hardware will load it.  The drivers in 2.6 kernel based systems aren't necessarily the same as 2.4 though there are ways to get things working.

P.S.  As another suggested you should be able to get information from /etc/redhat-release.  Also some from uname -a and some from /etc/issue.

Don't feel bad about the RH 9 - I just retired my last RH 7.3 system earlier this month - only 3 years after I first suggested it needed to be replaced. Now if only I could get rid of my HP-UX 10.20 systems...