[ale] OT: Skype

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sun Jun 29 11:35:16 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>
>> So in other words numbering the elements with 1 being the tip it would be:
>> 1. Mike
>> 2. Earpiece
>> 3. Gnd
>>

> Yep, that's it.
>
>> Also, can I have skype on 2 different PCs that are on the same LAN
>> utilizing the same account/phone #? In that case would it ring on both
>> PCs and could the call be answered on either one? Are you able to FAX
>> through Skype? These are questions that I just can't seem to find
>> answers for at the site or other places, so I apologise for doing so
>> here, but *I *do use Linux, even though my wife doesn't. Although she is
>> now willing to try Ubuntu on her personal PC, now if I could get Georgia
>> DHR to convert, I'd be really happy.
>>

> I don't have SkypeIn so I can't say for sure, but I have had two Skype
> windows up on different systems and when someone brings up a chat window
> it appears on both and the noise comes from both.  I can use either to
> reply.
>
> Faxing over VOIP appears to be flakey.  Sometimes it works and sometimes
> it doesn't.  At least that's what I've seen reported.  I've not seen any
> reports about Skype specific faxing, but since other services have
> experienced some trouble, Skype will probably have the same I would
> think.  The faxing issue is entirely second hand, what I've read.  I've
> not tried it myself since I don't have a fax machine.
>
> Jim.

My current setup is phone with Charter which is VoIP but it is
preallocated, dedicated, bandwidth (Qos) as opposed to sharing bandwidth
with other forms of traffic, ie wifey web surfing, little Johnny playing
networked video games, and the old man using the VoIP service through
Broadband.. I beleive that is what causes the flakyness of FAXing. When
the pipe is empty the FAX gets through, but when the pipe is like I285
at 5PM M-F, good luck. What I meant to say in the beginning, is that the
current setup works about 90 to 95% for FAXing which I found true for my
previous  BellSlouth connection non digital.