[ale] red hat naming

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 08:33:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>
wrote:

> On Fri June 27 2008, Brian Pitts wrote:
> > I googled "red hat" "shrike" and lots of useful things came up. Shrike
> > is version 9, the last release, of Red Hat Linux.
> >
> > "Since 2003, Red Hat has discontinued the Red Hat Linux line in favor of
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for enterprise environments. Fedora,
> > developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and sponsored by Red
> > Hat, is the free version best suited for the home environment. Red Hat
> > Linux 9, the final release, hit its official end-of-life on 2004-04-30"
>
> so... shrike is PRE RHEL, is that what this is telling me??

That a system is out there with a pile of security holes and it needs to be
replaced/upgraded immediately. If for bazillion-year old application reasons
it can't be  upgraded, it will need to be severely firewalled and access
limited for security reasons.

You can most likely run bazillion-year old app on a RedHat EL v.3. There are
*compat libs that let older things run well.

> thanks for the info. I did google and got a few hits, but it didn't quite
> answer my question.. I think you did:)
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800