[ale] Library is blocking my web site!

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Jun 28 06:33:22 EDT 2008

Steve Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com
> <mailto:ale at sixit.com>> wrote:
>

>     Of course, you can always have her to boot up to a Live CD.  ;c)
>

> That still wouldn't work if the site is being blocked at the router
> level. This might be a bit too technical for your wife to pull off at
> the library, but you could try setting up a poor man's proxy with ssh
> [0]. The library might allow exe's [putty] to be downloaded to the
> desktop and ran, but if they don't then a liveCD could be used. If
> they won't let you boot from a CD, then your wife will have to open up
> the computer and reset the BIOS and then boot from the CD/thumbdrive
> <g>. The library is prob using Winders, but the setup for IE is
> similar. I tried it yesterday, I can give you detailed instructions if
> you want :) The library could also be blocking all ports but 80/443,
> so you might have to run your ssh server on those ports. I ran into
> the problem yesterday at my gf's work where it wouldn't recognize my
> DynDNS hostname so I had to use my actual IP.
She still has a problem remembering how to copy a file from one
directory to another.  I don't think she yet understands what a
directory is since every time she plugs her SD card from her camera into
her computer she has to ask me what to do next.  She's a modern day
Luddite wrt computers.

I don't think so.  ;)

Thanks,
Jim.