[ale] Different kinds of developers [was: Re: Programming language groups in ATL]

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jun 24 17:57:39 EDT 2008

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Tue 2008-06-24 09:40:25 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
>

>> There is a lot of text on the Internet on the difference between a
>> Windows programmer and a UNIX programmer.  I have one generalization
>> that I think fits the most.
>>
>> The UNIX programmer will write a program to work on the CLI first.
>> Then that programmer will develop a GUI that executes the CLI
>> program.  We see this often in Linux.
>>
>> The Windows programmer will design the GUI first.  There will be
>> forms and buttons with no code behind them.  After the design is
>> mostly done that same programmer will start writing the real code
>> that does real work.
>>

> Another way to see this difference for a program addressing a given
> problem domain is whether the developer is more interested in
> providing:
>
>  0) programmatically-accessible conceptual primitives associated with
>     the problem domain, or
>
>  1) an intuitive interface for humans to do the most common tasks
>     related to the problem domain.
>
> This is not necessarily a UNIX/Windows divide, but unfortunately it
> often breaks down that way.

I'm not in real agreement with all of that statement.   Maybe you are
talking about deficiency within programmers. Why can a programmer not
choose both?  When I developed the CLI configuration program for our
embedded Linux device I had all the intention of creating a GUI
counterpart.  There is a CLI, Web, and XML-RPC interface to the
configuration of the device.  The problem I wanted to address is the
need to not have code copied across the 3 interfaces.  In all 3
interfaces the CLI code is executed.  The XML-RPC and Web interfaces
assemble a command line and execute that command. It also parses the
command output in order to deliver a meaningful message back to the caller.

Who cares about a UI is the code behind it sucks (Windows).

I do believe that the UI development in Linux is too fragmented.  Using
programs from different GUIs brings in libraries that use more disk
space and more memory as a single GUI environment.  I've grew accustomed
to Ubuntu on the desktop because for a desktop user Ubuntu is headed in
the right direction.

I do hope that the CLI is not abandoned.  There are many times there is
no need for one.