[ale] Notes from Jun 19th meeting

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun Jun 22 13:29:08 EDT 2008

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:46:23 -0400
> From: "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Notes from Jun 19th meeting
>
> Daniel: note that TeacherTool is very specifically a thin client, classroom
> server model tool.

Classroom server is my preference as you know :-)  The server cost is
about the same nowadays and you don't have to rewire to use it, plus you
can use wireless links to the room if necessary, ability to customize
each server, more graceful failure, etc. etc.

> For the definitions:
> thin client - all processes run on server
> chubby client - some processes run on client, most run on server
> diskless workstation - al process run on client, server only provides binary
> bits and user authentication.

Add a new one: virtual desktop/shared PC.  "Client" is not a PC/CPU at
all, but merely a device that provides remote video, kbd/mouse, and
audio out.  Maybe we call this one the "Wafer-thin client."  The
NComputing X series devices for example allow 6 satellite
monitors/stations to share a single PC, giving 7 total stations for
about $80/seat (not counting server or monitor, kbd, mouse, speakers).
Only thing cheaper than that is to use donated PCs...

http://www.ncomputing.com/Xseries.aspx

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO