[ale] Notes from Jun 19th meeting

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 10:46:23 EDT 2008

Yay! Daniel sees what I see!

It really is not an issue of what they give up to switch but rather what
they gain. The investment in time and cash is minuscule compared to the
payoff in ability, security and maintenance.

Daniel: note that TeacherTool is very specifically a thin client, classroom
server model tool. I've been looking at the process of extending that
functionality to incorporate multiple classrooms on the same server (can't
have two teachers at once currently doing spotlight :( and to also handle
the next generation of chubby (LNS term - thanks Aaron) and thick
client/diskless workstations. The rearchitech is required because the
connectivity is different between the three different flavours. The teachers
will need a single tol that is connection agnostic. That requires some
elegance in server setup that does not currently exist.

For the definitions:
thin client - all processes run on server
chubby client - some processes run on client, most run on server
diskless workstation - al process run on client, server only provides binary
bits and user authentication.

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Daniel Howard <dhhoward at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Thanks Mike for the Inkscape solution, I'll show my teachers that one
> first of next year.  Coupled with the graphics on OpenClipArt, it should
> meet the needs of both teachers and non-profits.
>
> Jim's commentary got me thinking: what I need to do is stop arguing
> about supporting an old application, and focus on what they can do with
> the new system.  With K12LTSP and TeacherTool, teachers have
> unprecedented control over what kids do with the computers, even beyond
> what they're seeing at the Educational Tech conferences to which Jim
> referred.  So, for my next school, I'm going to include a demo of
> TeacherTool and show them why a thin client architecture makes sense and
> what they can do with it is well beyond what they currently do.  I'm
> guessing that a new capability/software application will trump any
> resistance from supporting an old application, especially if I can show
> them they can still do the old stuff if they really want to.
>
> Still learning in Atlanta,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Howard
> President and CEO
> Georgia Open Source Education Foundation

James P. Kinney III