[ale] Notes from Jun 19th meeting

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Jun 21 16:48:01 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey wrote:
>>> I don't know if you were at the meeting, but the application originally
>>> being discussed, Printshop comes with thousands of graphics.  Although
>>> your suggestion of inkscape might be a better solution then the one
>>> you've referenced, it's simply not a solution to the original problem.
>> Wait, they can't switch because the application provides clipart? Is
>> this really dire enough to veto a platform switch?
>

> Especially with stuff like:
>  http://www.openclipart.org/
>
> A bit of tweaking and a huge collection of clip art is networked for the
> entire school use.
>
> Ditto on the "they have a license so they can use the clip art that comes
> with". If the application licenses the clipart for use ONLY with their
> software, they need better lawyers to review licenses before they purchase
> software because they use the clipart to be viewable under anything but
> their software.

All I can say is, you need to look at the application before suggesting
solutions that don't give a reasonable replacement solution.

The clipart is of a proprietary format.  Further, within the application
you can resize the clipart without screwing up the resolution or
sharpness of the image.

Instead of ranting about how there are all kinds of solutions, you might
consider looking at the application to see what it actually does.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin