[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jun 19 14:03:34 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:

> I think you're mixing source and rpm files.  When you install an rpm, it
> looks for dependencies in other rpms that have been loaded.  Even though
> you installed taglib-sharp from source, the "rpm system" doesn't know
> about it.  I don't have a Fedora box running right now, so I can't tell
> you how to fix it for sure.  If you have yum installed, try:
>
> yum search banshee
>
> To see if there is an rpm in your repository list.  If not, then you
> might try:
>
> yum localinstall banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
>
> Hopefully it will find the taglib-sharp in the repositories.  Yum has
> alleviated dependency hell to a great degree.

I agree with Jim.  There seem to be two different approaches to
dependency checking here (pkg-config's and RPM's), and they're
not playing nice together.

A rich ecosystem of Linux and other FOSS OS distros is nice, but
this particular aspect (ninety-bajillion different forms of
package management) can really suck sometimes. It does seem
to be getting better, though, with stuff like aptitude and yum.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov