[ale] OT:Extra charge for larg file downloading

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 15 11:31:22 EDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> I remember hearing some grumblings in the past about this. According to
> Fox 5 last night it appears that AT&T is going to start charging higher
> fees to those who download large files such as movies and such. Anybody
> hear anymore of this? They did not give any details as to how much the
> fee or how large or frequency of downloads. Does that include distro dvd
> images or other software updates or packages? I guess that gives a new
> look at "free software"? Just looking for any input to this, opinions,
> etc, or possibly something that may shed some light on whether this is
> true or just a rumor.

 From what I understand it's a price per gigabyte ($1 per gig I think)
over a set amount.  So if you stay under the limit they won't charge
extra.  It's a shame that it has gotten to this, but at least the limit
is not ridiculously low (yet?). I think it's more directed toward
torrent users.  That said if this comes to pass I will definitely be
restructuring my account with them.  It's not that I need the bandwidth,
it's the idea.  Sorta like the monthly cell phone charge supposedly
subsidizes the free/cheap phone they give you, but after the two years
of the contract you monthly bill doesn't go down, or you don't get a
lower monthly bill if you have your own phone.  At the same time I
understand that some of the other ISP are going to increase the
bandwidth (speed).  I'm guessing it will be used to hook folks into
using/downloading more then drop the per/gigabyte structure on them, but
that's just me, I might need a thicker thin-foil hat.