[ale] Verizon and Comcast both offer faster speeds to customers

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sun Jun 15 09:30:34 EDT 2008

> I'd be curious to know what folks think is 'acceptable latency'...

When I'm SSH'd into a remote machine, it feels like I am "there".
not typing through molassass. Ping times < 10ms is what I'm getting right
now to servers 12 hops away from my desk and it feels good.
A consistent "slower" speed is better than a fast one that stops and goes.

If you haven't used "MTR" aka Matts Trace Route or My Trace Route
from a command line, you should. It's an insight into network flow
between two points.