[ale] Simple SVN question

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jun 11 10:29:29 EDT 2008

Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm starting to place new projects in SVN over CVS.
>
> I'm reading this howto:
>
> http://technofreakatchennai.wordpress.com/2006/08/13/svn-the-first-steps-a-mini-howto-for-n00bs/
>

> I have a simple question.  Is 'mysvn' the general name of the whole SVN
> repository?  Is 'code' the name of a project.   If I have multiple
> projects would the names of those projects replace 'code' in that howto?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Yes, the project name is code.  The howto isn't quite complete.  For
instance when it issues the svn import statement, it isn't clear that
you should be in the directory where your project files reside.  You'll
be quite unhappy if you issue that command from your home directory.  ;)

You may create as many repositories as you wish.  Use the svnadmin
command to create them.

Within a repository you may have as many projects as you wish, usually
the project contains three directories, trunk, branches and tags.

Review the quickstart section of this manual:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/index.html

Actually review as much of the manual as you can stand, it's pretty well
written.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.  I'm a big proponent of svn.

Jim.