[ale] wireless at Starbucks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 19:11:26 EDT 2008

I'd prefer the analogy of stomping firmly into the puddle of wireless
non-security.

I did not use or access the systems I saw. I only observed passively the
signal they broadcast.

If a neighbours pecan tree drops a pecan into the street, can I eat it? What
if I can reach that pecan without stepping into their yard? What if they
don't do anything with their pecans but ruin them with a lawnmower, can I
dash in just be fore they mow and scoop up as many as I can to keep them
from going to waste. BTW: this is a real situation and I have dashed and
salvaged pecans before they mowed them all into oblivion - every year. I
also offered them some but they weren't interested - so I don't any more.

Should I pay RIAA for music I can hear from a neighbours stereo? I would
fight a court order to do so just because RIAA disgusts me.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > While riding into work a few weeks back I fired up the laptop and
> > discovered I really did not need my cell-phone card. All I needed to
> > do was crank up kismet and piggy back of the residential wireless
> > nodes. At any given time I could see 20+ nodes and 3-5 were unlocked.
>
> I would suspect you're stepping into a gray area of legality...
>
> --
> later Geoffrey

James P. Kinney III