[ale] Setting up dual boot machine

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jun 2 18:55:58 EDT 2008

Preston Boyington wrote:

> it's been a very long time since i installed Ubuntu.  is ubuntu starting
> it's install from a browser window in Windows via some 'autorun'
> command?  i normally have to either press a button at startup to get a
> boot option screen or go into the BIOS to tell it a boot order.
> otherwise my machine(s) boot from the first hard drive.

Upon being inserted in a computer running Windows the Ubuntu CD launches
umenu. The first option, "Demo and Full Installation", will reboot the
computer and boot from the CD without requiring the user to fiddle with
their BIOS.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/RC?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=umenu.png

> i know of some distros that install inside of Windows, but they are
> basically in a virtual machine or some such emulation from a swap like
> file.  i don't think this is what you are implying.

Nope, although there is an option to install to a file inside Windows
and boot (the real thing, not a VM) from it rather than repartitioning.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/RC?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wubi.png

> my GParted is GUI and i can use a slider to resize the partitions.  i
> was under the impression that most newer distros use a variant of
> GParted for their installers, is that not the case?

Not that I know of. Ubuntu uses Debian's partman.

> somewhere along the way there has to be a decision made as to how much
> space the new partition will take.  since i haven't dual-booted in quite
> a while, i can only guess that it will see the windows partition and how
> much space is free on that partition.  at that point does it take all
> the available space or does it let you decide how much space to take?
> my guess is you decide how much free space to use for the new partition.

Yep.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=6.png

-Brian