[ale] Setting up dual boot machine

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:39:11 EDT 2008

Brian Pitts wrote:
> Preston Boyington wrote:
>> There's just something about resizing a disk that you are currently
>> using that bothers me.
>
> I agree that imaging with partimage or some similar tool is a good idea,
> but how is resizing this way any different than letting the Ubuntu,
> openSUSE, Fedora, etc. installer resize it?

actually i doubt if you will notice a difference between a livecd and
how these installers partition.  in fact i don't believe i have heard
any "lost my data" stories from any modern partitioning program over the
last several years.

that said, let me clarify a bit.  if i am doing fresh installs then i
use the installer like most people.  now, if i am having to resize the
partitions after they have post install data then i use a livecd or if i
am resizing a partition and creating a new partition in (say) Windows i
use a livecd.

on a dual-boot machine with an existing Windows partition, i would grab
a livecd and use it to resize the drive & create a new empty partition
with all the free space i wanted for my linux os.  then i would install
linux and use the included program to create whatever linux partitions i
was going to use.

it's probably extra (and maybe unnecessary) steps, but for me it comes
down to being outside the workings of the disk while i am moving bits
around.