[ale] [OT] Comcast

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 07:24:08 EDT 2008

Sweeps can last for weeks.  If I recall correctly, I had about a month of
relatively poor service after which my speeds tests improved tremendously.
As Jim P. points out, a good speed test does not necessarily indicate a good
experience, but a bad speed test will certainly indicate a bad one.  And
when my performance was unacceptably bad my tests always confirmed it.

The fact that Comcast is sending someone to check the signal seems like a
good sign to me.  The fact that you're having problems only during the day
but ALSO on weekends is confusing and makes me second guess the sweep
diagnosis.  It also makes me think Jim K's conspiracy theory of business
customers consuming all of the available bandwidth is off the mark.
However, cable sag or something similar to that seems very possible.  When
the tech shows up, make sure he shows you how to pull information from your
modem if you don't know how to do that already.  That information might come
in very useful if you need to show a pattern of poor service.

I'm assuming that you've already checked all of your own equipment - router,
network card, etc.  A good friend at AT&T was experiencing poor downloads
when I suggested it sounded like an overheated router; turns out it was an
overheated modem.  I've blamed Comcast more than once when it turned out my
router was to blame, either QoS was poorly set up or it was dying (generally
resolved by a quick flash with open-ddwrt).

Yet again, please keep us up to date.  I've tracked issues like this in my
current and former neighborhoods, and I'm always curious as to the
experience of others.  And, push come to shove, I've talked to those who
know how to escalate issues.  Keeping evidence of poor or spotty performance
would be necessary for that.  Speedtest and dslreports do a good job of
keeping your test results, but I think speedtest's are IP based.  You can
expect your IP to change if they're sweeping your area or working on your
connection, so you might want to copy those off today, assuming your network
is working!