[ale] [OT] Comcast

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 21:30:53 EDT 2008

I experienced something like this a while ago with Comcast.  I was
supporting the cable industry when I lost my job earlier this month, and
here's what I learned.  From time to time a cable company will "sweep" an
area.  They will check the levels on the amplifiers and EQ's to ensure
everything meets the specifications for the latest standard.  Of course,
they generally do this work during the day, which explains why your service
returns to reasonable at night.

I've had decent luck calling Comcast (at 404 COMCAST, not the national
number) and getting a refund on my bill or a discount on my TV service with
them.  It certainly doesn't hurt to call once in a while and complain and
also ask if there's any work going on in the area.

Let us know how things turn out.

Josh Kite