[ale] Datacenter on a truck

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:58:54 EDT 2008

when I worked for a cellular carrier in the 90s there emerged one of the
funnier acyronyms I've come across in my career:  the "COW", or Cell(site)
on Wheels, which was devised as a "quick strike" response weapon against the
wireless industry's archnemesis, the NIMBY, or "not in my backyard!!!" (you
know, those nice folk who complain when their .6w handset drops a call but
show up at zoning meetings w/torches & pitchforks if you try to build a
cellsite within 5 miles of their house).

anyway, the advent of the "COW" led to all kinds of horrific puns to
describe legitimate, COW-related transactions:

the "cowboys" - engineers/techs who delivered/setup & worked on the things
the "corral" - where the undeployed COWs were kept
the "cattle drive" - deploying multiple COWs for a special event (golf
tournament, 96 Olympics, etc).
the "moo-nine" - the capital request form (technically M00-9) regions had to
submit before buying COWs (ironically the M00-9 predated the COW by several
years)

and those are just the ones I remember...  :D