[ale] Dell offers Ubuntu 8.04 on new hardware

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Jul 31 09:02:49 EDT 2008

I've been running a MacBook (NonPro) as my primary notebook for about a year.
I wiped the OSX off of it and I'm running openSUSE 10.3 very happily on it.

I picked up a very compact firewire external drive and installed Tiger and Leopard on it so I could boot into OSX for testing apps and updating firmware.

All I really had to to make it work was pull down the madWiFI  trunk to get wireless going.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

Forsaken wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:35:15 -0400
> Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> MacBook Pro 17". Currently a tri-boot, Red Hat EL 5 and Fedora 8
>> alongside MacOS X. Here are the specs:
>>
>> http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4
>>
>> There are a number of kernel patches specific to the MacBook that
>> I've not had the time to pursue, that brings alive a lot of the neat
>> functionality of the hardware.
>
> Oh, I'm jealous. I'm picking up the 15" model tomorrow, wished I could
> afford the 17".
>
> Out of curiosity, did yours come with 1 2 gig stick, or 2 1 gig sticks
> of RAM? Google seems to give me conflicting results. Curious if I can
> cannibalize the 2 gig stick I used to upgrade my current laptop to get
> to 4 gigs or if I'll have to buy a 2x2 pack

I believe it came with 2 1 gig sticks.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin