[ale] email problems

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 29 10:04:34 EDT 2008

I don't have a technical solution for you but I can tell you that the
technical term for what you're seeing is "backscatter".  Your ISP should be
filtering those messages for you. I know gmail does a great job of that. I
admin the mail system for my department and we use a spamassassin module to
filter backscatter for departmental accounts.

I guess the only way this information would be helpful is if you were
willing to switch ISPs. Or I guess you could set up a gmail account and
forward your regular mail there. Also, maybe knowing the term backscatter
could help you google for a solution. If you do that, you will find procmail
recipies for dealing with backscatter.