[ale] "per-process virtual address space" limit only for x86 architecture?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jul 28 17:46:15 EDT 2008

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> The program was able to successfully allocate 131,071 GiB of address
> space, and failed when attempting to allocate an additional GiB, when I
> modified it to allocate one gig at a time instead of one meg at a time
> (allocating one meg at a time would've been bad; it was heading for a
> real OOM condition in the amount of metadata it was tracking before too
> terribly long).

Do the 64-bit archs support bigger pages than 4MiB?  Even on x86-32
with PAE, a fully-decked-out (64G) server was using a huge chunk of
kernelspace just for pagetables and the physical page bookkeeping.
I'd expect that would definitely have to change when squaring the
address space.

-- JK, from way behind the technology curve :-(

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov