[ale] Problem with traceroute

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 25 13:16:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 09:45 -0400, Jim Moore wrote:
> Installed netselect package and am trying to run the command -
> netselect-apt -n etch -o /etc/apt/sources.list - to determine the
> fastest debian mirror for my updates.
> It acquired the list of mirrors and then after a pause tells me that
> it
> can't traceroute and that possibly a firewall is preventing it from
> working.
> Then I went to the gui net tool in debian and tried a traceroute to a
> known address, Yahoo.  It showed hop 1 as my router, then hop 2 as
> launchmodem, the DSL modem, and never gets past that,  each
> successive
> hop past that is just a line of asterisks.
> How do I get around this, defeat it or whatever.
> Jim

Can you paste the exact output from a couple of different sites?  Maybe
there is a common point along the path where it breaks.  If that's the
case, then one of the routers along the way may not be permitting the
traceroute packets through.

These are on different networks, so they should be useful in determining
if the problem is on your ISP's side or wherever:

  slashdot.org
  google.com
  www.trausch.us [@ NearlyFreeSpeech.net]
  allspice.trausch.us [@ Comcast]