[ale] How to safely remove adhesive paper from hard drive?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:06:17 EDT 2008

 Ugg. Not fun!

If you are VERY careful, a cottonswab with cooking oil and a sharpened
popsicle stick will remove the sticky tape from the drive tray (first) and
then from the drive itself. Basically swap a microscopic amount of oil alond
the adhesive joint, let it sit for a minute and gently pry with the wood,
repeat, repeat, repeat. Each cycle of this wil loosn about 1/16" . Don't try
for more as you run the risk of tearing things up.

I have heard of freezing the tape with "cold in a can" and scraping/prying
but I have no experience with that.

Yes, I do have experience with the oil/wood process. I vowed to dig a new
drive tray off ebay after I did it.

2008/7/24 mute wonder <mutewonder at gmail.com>:

> I'd like to swap two laptop hard drives, but they're both stuck in their
> special, uniquely shaped, removable trays with sticky paper.  One is almost
> completely wrapped in closely fitted, one-sided sticky paper, but otherwise
> removable from the plastic and metal fittings that comprise the tray.  Since
> the paper is so tight about the HDD, it may be able to fit into the
> other laptop as is.  The other HDD is more problematic, as it's stuck to its
> metal tray with a sheet of double-sided sticky paper.
>
> Any ideas how to detach the HDD without damaging it?

James P. Kinney III