[ale] Tiger Direct going Rogue?

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Mon Jul 21 12:47:04 EDT 2008

I have an incidental client that needs memory for an older Dell, and thankfully she's a little more experienced than the average user.  A little, at least enough to add the memory herself.

Instead of contacting Kingston or Crucial directly like I recommended, since her memory is so cheap with them anyway, she chose to call Tiger Direct.  According to her, the sales weasel told her she HAD to purchase Pitstop Optimize 2.0 for $30 otherwise the new memory would wipe out her information!

Anyone else have, or your clients have, any experience such as this?  Obviously most (if not all) of us are not going to have this encounter since it is typically obvious that we are tech professionals and know better.  In fact, it's probably rare that we use the phone; on the other hand if something like this is in an email, that would be particularly interesting.

I'm wondering if this is an indication of financial trouble for Tiger Direct as well?

Cheers,
Robert~