[ale] Printer selections

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jul 18 16:57:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Craig button wrote:

> OK, I've checked out the open printing database and such, but I'm still
> to chicken to cough up the bucks for a new printer.  I'm going to be
> using this inkjet for about 80% text and 20% graphics, (mostly photo
> using gimp)  I'm looking for an inexpensive one now, with a purchase of
> a wide carriage one later this year. All my training has been with Epson
> for photo shop, but I'm using a walmart lexmark special Z611 right now
> that I need to replace.  I'm not really a brand nazi, just want
> something that will work as advertised when I plug it in,and not require
> lots of tweaking.  I was thinking the Epson R280 but just because I see
> them cheap on CL all the time.

Note that I'm not an expert, nor do I wear out printers, nor support
people who use printers heavily.

That said, I've had fine results with Epson models in general and HP
models in general. If you like the price of the R280 - go for it!

Or you can obsess compulsively researching what will work for you best,
waste much sleeping time, and wind up getting the R280 anyway. 8-)

I guess it's your choice!