[ale] Printer selections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:48:08 EDT 2008

You (almost) can't go wrong with Epson. They have great Linux/cups support.
Most Brother and Samsung are supported pretty well. HP has a Linux driver
support team but have added things like expiring ink tanks so a rarely used
tank dies and the printer won't do ANYTHING until it's replaced (I ran the
date back 3 years on my HP Officejet 9130 as a workaround :).

Epson has some really nice high end monsters that are almost art-shop,
giclee capable (think clear top coat that is UV protection and gloss
layer!).

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Craig button <craigb.rn at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I've checked out the open printing database and such, but I'm still
> to chicken to cough up the bucks for a new printer.  I'm going to be
> using this inkjet for about 80% text and 20% graphics, (mostly photo
> using gimp)  I'm looking for an inexpensive one now, with a purchase of
> a wide carriage one later this year. All my training has been with Epson
> for photo shop, but I'm using a walmart lexmark special Z611 right now
> that I need to replace.  I'm not really a brand nazi, just want
> something that will work as advertised when I plug it in,and not require
> lots of tweaking.  I was thinking the Epson R280 but just because I see
> them cheap on CL all the time.

James P. Kinney III