[ale] Indexing and searching very, very large Maildir

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Fri Jul 18 14:16:35 EDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 11:06 AM, John Wells wrote:
> We have a very large directory in Maildir format that we need to
> index, search and then view messages within. Large as in 672 Gigs and
> growing. We used to use mairix, but it started choking at around the
> 200G mark.
>
> Does anyone know of a tool, either open or commercial, that can do
> this effectively? We have a budget for it...

I don't know if you have any development time in your budget, but
there is an excellent index/search library named Xapian that can
handle what you want. If you are familiar with gmane, their search
engine is built on top of Xapian. If not, check out www.gmane.org and
see how much mail they're handling.

If you're interested in that route, I know someone who is really good
with Xapian that is looking for some extra work.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org