[ale] Seeking quality embedded SOHO firewall/wireless/vpn device that supports Linux

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 18 10:44:27 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 10:40 -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Sorry for the delay...I've been traveling out of the country.
>
> I already have a device listed in the openwrt.org page...the Linksys
> WRT54GS. I've been running SveaSoft Satori on it for years. However, I
> was under the (perhaps mistaken?) impression that the hardware in the
> device simply wasn't sufficient to run a decent VPN on...I was afraid
> it would consume too many resources. Is this not the case? Also, since
> Satori was simply an extension of the open source Linksys rom, I was
> concerned with the firewall capability.
>
> So, do I already have the answer? Will OpenWrt provide a sufficient
> firewall and VPN for my SOHO on the WRT54GS?

Even if the cost of running a VPN on the device is expensive (I wouldn't
know save for testing), it is entirely possible that you could just
route to a server on the network that handles the VPN, and let it do
what it does best, routing and the like.  Then you could run the VPN on
a "real" server.  You can use iptables to enforce the requirement to go
through the VPN to gain access to any network resources like the
Internet.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.