[ale] New Topic: White Papers

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jul 17 09:54:37 EDT 2008

Mike Harrison wrote:

> But most I've read could have been generated by a random buzzword
> assembler... oh, they were: The marketing department.

I do not know if I'm screwy or what.  I went to VoiceCon 2008 in Orlando
this year and
sat through a couple of talks.  To me the talks are based on the following.

1.  Hello
2.  Let me tell you about what problems you face
3.  Now let me tell you how to use our product to fix it.

I thought I was at a 3 day infomercial.  What amazes me is that people
actually
pay good money for a conference pass to be sold to.   i guess I'm not
their target market.

My point about white papers is when i do read them I have to weed out
the marketing
crap.  The real point of a white paper is to evangelize the market.
After you have been convinced that you have a problem.  Those that
created the white paper will sell
you a product to fix that problem.

--
Chris Fowler